Sunday 25 September 2011

Nice and easy

After a long lay off from running it's so good to be feeling fit and strong again,although still not totally over my calf and plantar isssues they seem to be getting better all the time.I am learning more and more about listening to my body and am getting better at knowing when to ease off.After my nine miler last saturday my calf reminded me that it wasn't quite ready for that just yet and when i tried to run 7 miles on the road on tuesday it flared up quite bad,which resulted in me walking the last 2 miles.I was fearing the worst and was very pissed off!


After a bit of a rethink i decided to ease off the pace and distance and keep off the tarmac for a while.So the last 5 days i have been out running every day on the local trails and footpaths and through the fields up and around hartshead pike running between 2 and 4 miles with some nice steep climbs but keeping the pace nice and easy so as to focus on my form.My old mentality was that unless i was running fast or long it was a wasted run. I have to admit though it's so enjoyable to be out running everyday and feeling good that i think my plan over the winter is to try and get out everyday and gradually build up the distance,not worrying about pace and concentrating more on the enjoyment factor.I will be throwing a few races in but certainly won't be worrying about position,that will be for next summer.Got a physio appointment next wednesday to try and loosen up my calf and i have added some calf raises into my daily stretching and strenghtening routine.

Already looking forward to tommorows run......

1 comment: